Québec City, September 29, 2020 – Once again this year, the Québec Mining Association (QMA) is proud to see that the achievements of the mining industry have been recognized. Two of its members won a Mercuriades award presented by the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec (FCCQ), while four other members were among the finalists.
Two companies, both QMA members, were presented with awards that recognized their leadership and achievements:
- Agnico Eagle Mines – “Contribution to Economic and Regional Development” inthe large business category;
- Raglan Mine, a Glencore company – “Workplace Health and Safety” in the largebusiness category.
Four other QMA members were also finalists in this high-profile competition:
- Québec Iron Ore – “Manuvie Employer of the Year” category;
- Canadian Malartic Mine – “Desjardins Sustainable Development” category;
- Englobe – “Workplace Health and Safety” category;
- Quebec Metallurgy Center – “Contribution to Economic and RegionalDevelopment” category.
« The role played by the mining industry in Québec’s socio-economic development, and its contribution to wealth creation, are self-evident. However, there are other little-known aspects of our sector of activity that are highlighted by competitions such as the Mercuriades Awards – from mining companies’ constant focus on the sustainable and responsible development of their operations to their obsession with worker health and safety. Our members are determined to make a difference and this recognition of their efforts by the FCCQ motivates them even more strongly to strive for excellence. »– Josée Méthot, the QMA’s President and CEO
About the Québec Mining Association
The Québec Mining Association (QMA) was founded in 1936 and speaks proactively for mining companies involved in exploration, extraction and processing, mining contractors and junior mining companies, along with suppliers, institutions, non-profit organizations and other mining sector partners. It is proud of the 40,540 jobs and total expenditure of $8.5 billion generated by Québec’s mining industry over the last year. The QMA’s mission is to promote, support and proactively develop a responsible, committed and innovative mining industry in Québec.