Québec City, October 14, 2021 – The Québec Mining Association (QMA) has recognized the workplace health and safety achievements of 162 mining industry foremen and supervisors, of whom 131 work for companies in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Nord-du-Québec regions. They received a workplace health and safety trophy to commend their achievements and the effort made by their teams to maintain a safe working environment for periods of between 50,000 and 550,000 hours in 2020.
The winner for 2021 in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Nord-du-Québec regions work for the following companies:
- Canadian Royalties – Nunavik Nickel Project
- Eldorado Gold Québec – Lamaque Mine
- Horne Smelter, a Glencore company
- CMAC-Thyssen Mining Group
- Hecla Québec – Casa Berardi Mine
- IAMGOLD Corporation – Westwood Mine
- Matagami Mine, a Glencore company
- Raglan Mine, a Glencore company
- Agnico Eagle Mines – LaRonde Complex
- Agnico Eagle Mines – Goldex Mine
- Newmont – Éléonore Mine
- Canadian Malartic Partnership – Canadian Malartic Mine
- Stornoway Diamond Corporation – Renard Mine
It is important to note that the longest period without a compensated accident for 2021 is the 550,000-hour total achieved by Sylvain Bureau, a mine production foreman and his team, at Canadian Malartic Mine.
« Workplace health and safety (WHS) is an anchor value for the QMA, which highlights achievements in the field each year. The mobilization of the mining industry behind the WHS plan is one of our strengths, and we are proud to see this reflected in the actions of each worker. »– Josée Méthot, QMA President and CEO
About the Québec Mining Association
The Québec Mining Association (QMA) was founded in 1936 and speaks proactively for mining companies involved in exploration, extraction and processing, mining contractors and junior mining companies, along with suppliers, institutions, non-profit organizations and other mining sector partners. It is proud of the 48,006 jobs and total expenditure of $9.9 billion generated by Québec’s mining industry in 2018, based on the most recent data. The QMA’s mission is to promote, support and proactively develop a responsible, committed and innovative mining industry in Québec.